50 Questions For Atheists
When it comes to religious discussions, have you noticed that it is the atheists who are usually asking the questions? Most often Christians are on the defensive and don’t even think to ask hard, piercing questions that would challenge the very basis of what an atheist believes.
There is a perception out there today that it is atheists and skeptics who have the intellectual high ground when it comes to matters of faith, logic, reason and science. Christians are commonly portrayed in the media as basing their beliefs on “blind faith” without having any evidence to back them up.
The reality, as many of you already know, is the complete opposite of that.
But still many skeptics and atheists run around as if they are the “enlightened ones” and all the Christians are a bunch of uneducated, illiterate idiots.
Well, the next time you run into such a skeptic, take a few questions from the following list and see how that person handles them…
- How do you explain the high degree of design and order in the universe if there is no God?
- How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?
- Since absolutely no Bible prophecy has ever failed (and there are hundreds), how can one realistically remain unconvinced that the Bible is of divine origin?
- How do you explain David’s graphic portrayal of Jesus’ death by crucifixion (Psalm 22) 1000 years before Christ lived?
- How do you explain that the prophet Daniel prophesied the exact YEAR when the Christ would be presented as Messiah and also prophesied that the temple would be destroyed afterwards over 500 years in advance (Daniel 9:24-27)?
- How could any mere human pinpoint the precise birth town of the Messiah seven full centuries before the fact, as did the prophet Micah?
- How do you account for the odds (1 in 10 to the 157th power) that even just 48 (of 300) Old Testament prophecies were fulfilled in Jesus Christ?
- How was it possible for the Old Testament prophet Isaiah to have predicted the virgin birth of Jesus (Isaiah 7:14) 700 years before it occurred?
- How can anyone doubt the reliability of Scripture considering the number and the proximity to the originals of its many copied manuscripts?
- In what sense was Jesus a “good man” if He was lying in His claim to be God?
- If the Bible is not true, why is it so universally regarded as “the Good Book”?
- Did you know that the Bible has been the number one bestseller almost every single year since the 1436 invention of the Gutenberg printing press?
- If God does not exist, then from where comes humanity’s universal moral sense?
- If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?
- Can you explain how personality could have ever evolved from the impersonal, or how order could have ever resulted from chaos?
- If Jesus’ resurrection was faked, why would twelve intelligent men (Jesus’ disciples) have been willing to face death for what they knew to be a lie?
- How do you explain the fact that a single, relatively uneducated and virtually untraveled man, dead at age 33, radically changed lives and society to this day?
- Why have so many of history’s greatest thinkers been believers?
- Have you ever wondered why thousands of intelligent scientists, living and dead, have been men and women of great faith?
- If time never had a beginning, but rather goes backwards infinitely or has gone through an infinite number of cycles, then how is it possible that we are here today?
- How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects of the universe, even though it is (supposedly) just a bunch of chemical reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time, this brain can’t create another brain like itself, so how can nature, that has no brain, create a brain?
- Everyone knows Mount Rushmore was the result of intelligent design. Do you think the human body is the result of intelligent design?
- When you look at a lot of creatures such as zebras, turtles, butterflies, bees, lady bugs, leopards, etc., you will notice amazing color patterns designed into them. Who came up with those? Does nature have a “taste” in colors, and does it know which colors go together nicely?
- How do you account for the origin of life considering the irreducible complexity of its essential components?
- How can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be reconciled with progressive, naturalistic evolutionary theory?
- How do you reconcile the existence of human intelligence with naturalism and the Law of Entropy?
- How come there are some things on our planet seem that they are especially designed for us? For example, the 2 most comfortable colors are blue and green , which happen to be the color of the sky and most of the nature around us. Who chose those colors to be there , before earth even existed?
- Why does the Bible alone, of all of the world’s holy books, contain such detailed prophecies of future events?
- Is it absolutely true that “truth is not absolute” or only relatively true that “all things are relative?”
- Is it possible that your unbelief in God is actually an unwillingness to submit to Him?
- Does your present worldview provide you with an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?
- How do you explain the radically changed lives of so many Christian believers down through history?
- Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?
- What do you say about the hundreds of scholarly books that carefully document the veracity and reliability of the Bible?
- Why and how has the Bible survived and even flourished in spite of centuries of worldwide attempts to destroy and ban its message?
- Have you ever considered the fact that Christianity is the only religion whose leader is said to have risen from the dead?
- How do you explain the empty tomb of Jesus in light of all the evidence that has now proven essentially irrefutable for twenty centuries?
- If Jesus did not actually die and rise from the dead, how could He (in His condition) have circumvented all of the security measures in place at His tomb?
- If the authorities stole Jesus’ body, why? Why would they have perpetrated the very scenario that they most wanted to prevent?
- If Jesus merely resuscitated in the tomb, how did He deal with the Roman guard posted just outside its entrance?
- How can one realistically discount the testimony of over 500 witnesses to a living Jesus following His crucifixion (see 1 Corinthians 15:6)?
- If all of Jesus’ claims to be God were the result of His own self-delusion, why didn’t He show evidence of lunacy in any other areas of His life?
- Is your unbelief in a perfect God possibly the result of a bad experience with an imperfect church or a misunderstanding of the facts, and therefore an unfair rejection of God Himself?
- How did 35-40 men, spanning 1500 years and living on three separate continents, ever manage to author one unified message, i.e. the Bible?
- Because life origins are not observable, verifiable, or falsifiable, how does the theory of “evolution” amount to anything more than just another faith system?
- What do you make of all the anthropological studies indicating that even the most remote tribes show some sort of theological awareness?
- If every effect has a cause, then what or who caused the universe?
- How do you explain the thousands of people who have experienced heaven or hell and have come back to tell us about it?
- How do you explain the countless people who have received miracles from God?
- Is there any evidence that would satisfy you and persuade you to become a believer, or are you just going to believe what you WANT to believe?