Look at what the apostles suffered and yet never denied their faith
1. Matthew suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia, killed by a sword wound.
2. Mark died in Alexandria, Egypt, after being dragged by horses through the streets until dead.
3. Luke was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost
4. John faced martyrdom when he was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos. He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos. The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey. He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.
5. Peter was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross, according to church tradition because he told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die in the same way that Jesus Christ had died. The tradition of the early Church recorded that as Peter was being led to his crucifixion he was heard to say, “None but Christ, none but Christ.”
6. James the Just, the leader of the church in Jerusalem, was thrown over a hundred feet down from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller’s club. This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.
7. James the Greater, a son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of the church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem. The Roman officer who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian.
8. Bartholomew, also known as Nathanael, was a missionary to Asia, in present day Turkey. Bartholomew was martyred for his preaching in Armenia when he was flayed to death by a whip.
9. Andrew was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras, Greece. After being whipped severely by seven soldiers they tied his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that, when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these words: “I have long desired and expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ hanging on it.” He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he expired.
10. The apostle Thomas was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church in the sub-continent.
11. Jude, the brother of Jesus, was killed with arrows when he refused to deny his faith in Christ.
12. Matthias, the apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded.
13. Barnabas, one of the group of seventy disciples, wrote the Epistle of Barnabas. He preached throughout Italy and Cyprus. Barnabas was stoned to death at Salonica.
14. The apostle Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire. These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, form a large portion of the New Testament.
Read More – 1st-century Christian Martyrs- Wikipedia
Would you face torture and death like that for something that you knew was a lie?
The blood spilled by the apostles stands as powerful evidence for the Christian faith.
I am living the dream life.We live in the middle of the mountains and never get tired of the view. I married my dream man. Walk along side me as I discover the world being a mom, a wife, and daughter of the most high God. God exists, He Loves YOU, and you can live out that love story you always wanted with HIM. I hope I can draw you closer to HIM. Huge Blessings!
You have got to check this out - Just 12 Points About God That Are Remarkable
Add Me As A Friend:
Contact Me- Here
More About Me- Blog
(Profile 1) Meranda Devan On Facebook
(Profile 2) Meranda Snyder on Facebook
Our New Youtube Show- The Watch On Youtube
Find Me On Pinterest
Latest posts by Meranda Devan (see all)
- 3 Visions Of America’ Future – A Prophetic Message For The Church For 2017- Jason Lawrence - February 21, 2017
- How A Powerful Concentration Camp Dream That Confiscated Bibles Prompted A Manual On How To Memorize Large Volumes Of Scripture -Kevin Trimbath - February 21, 2017
- The Eight Last Sayings of Jesus Are Patterned Upon The Number PI (3.14)- John Tng - February 21, 2017